Monday, June 15, 2009

"How Would You Rate Your Pain On A Scale..."

"How would you rate your pain on a scale of 0-10; Ten being the worst pain you've ever felt, and zero being no pain". Have you ever been asked this when you're seeing a doctor/nurse? I hate being asked this question. What if I give the wrong number and my pain is assessed inaccurately? Luckily this question is only part of a pain assessment. Michelle has so much pain, yet objectively one might not see that right away. I haven't asked her what her "number" is, probably since the appendicitis scare two winters ago. I know her pain is bad, because she tells me, and because I have seen her wince and catch her breath. I saw Michelle this weekend after a few days apart. She was so thin despite an 8+lbs spleen, her voice soft, her head aching. Today she spent a lot of time in bed feeling very unwell, and I could feel her spirit was being tested.
Please miracle, come quickly.

Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment