Monday, August 24, 2009

A Few Sunflowers In The Mud

Well I just wanted you to know it’s not all bad in my world. There’s been a few wins, quite a few laughs and many many dairy queen banana milkshakes to see me through all of this mess. For starters, I can drive again. I managed to fenangle the doctors into giving me my license back. I noticed quite an improvement in my memory and ability to keep my mind focused to complete a task. For example, I can now start making toast and actually get to the putting jam on top without starting the laundry ½ way through the process! Before the improvement the time spent by the bread cooking in the toaster was enough for me to forget about it completely. I would find it the next morning, hard shriveled and definitely neglected. Even my son had taken to repeating his requests over and over again until I fulfilled them. I’m sure most 2 year olds do this sort of thing but I found it rather helpful!

Anyway, I’ve made many successful batches of toasts and even a few full course dinners without mishaps. The doctors did their assessments and hesitantly approved my driving again. This little win was important to me and has allowed me to use my beans to get us out and about when we feel up to it. Yaaa Hooo!! I got a bit big for my britches after that and felt I ought to go back to work. I consulted with my friends and family who laughed at me and then discussed it in a round about way with my docs who asked me what I would do about all the pain, the days spent in bed and the constant nausea, bloating, itchiness etc. Oh yea- there’s that. I could probably report to work for about 1hr per day 1 or 2 days per week. Sounds like a model employee to me!!

With all this waiting, I do get rather impatient and feel the need to grab control of something. Find a way to be of use. My husband tells me I already have a job, to live in now and to stay alive. It doesn’t pay well but it’s important!

Then there’s the time I called Tracey to invite her to a fun filled night of errands at Walmart. We completed our task and then decided what was needed for us mothers and the chronically ill was an evening at the local watering hole. We piled in, Walmart bras and all and enjoyed a round of Shirley Temples while we watched the crowd mingle and dance. We laughed till our guts hurt (in a good way) and reported for home before the little ones even knew we were gone. And just to add a cherry to the top of our sundaes.... we got hit on as we left!!! Just a reminder to never underestimate the power of the unexpected or the local bar. : )

Anyway, just wanted to let you know, I still laugh, still eat, still run errands and now...I even DRIVE!!!

Love to you and thanks always for listening and taking a minute, and for helping me carry my sorrow, my burden and my fear. Always celebrate, always love, always laugh. I’m going to throw the party of a lifetime when this is over. And... you’re invited!!

Michelle

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Michelle! Your spirit is so amazing. I am always so inspired by you when I read your blog. You are such a strong and courageous woman. Thank you for continuing to share your journey with us. You can count me in when you have your party. Consider this an RSVP!

    Love - Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally want to be at that party. Count me in.

    ReplyDelete