Monday, October 4, 2010

What I'm Up To

It's 1AM and my rooms are filled with the huffs and poofs of dedicated sleepers. It's that solid time of night when I could vacuum, pick up the bed and re-make it without waking up anyone. I'm usually right there beside one of my boys enjoying a solid sleep but tonight is different. I've done all the right things but I just can't get all the way to the sleep part.

Is there anyone out there anymore? Does the return to normality and the navigation of recovery from liver transplant, return to work, raising a three year old and guiding a husband who just watched you die and come back to life back into a normal marriage contain a story? Every day I am awakened by the surprise that humanity brings to life. People's stories, their laughter, their anger and emotion, their fears and even the things that people choose to wear. Everything has a new amusement and hold genuine appreciate for me now. Every day I get to see a friend for lunch or a playdate is a day that might not of been. Although that tone is being replaced by the joy of seeing a person and being to share a normal healthy experience without having the compromise of illness to be in my way. WHAT A MIRACLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have returned to work. I am an official inhabitant of cube world now. I am a voice in the egg crate as my dad used to say.

I am eager with excitement the night before a work day. It is an adventure I wasn't sure I'd ever get to have again. Nate's jaw dropped the first time he saw mommy all gussied up for work. He gave me a standing ovation and picked out my pink high heels. They didn't exactly match but who's going to turn down such a participation!?

It has been a humbling and joyous ride back into the saddle where everything is changed and nothing is different. I am being trained by my students and sitting with my future co-workers who do the job I will one day do if I can ever work full hours again. They work with the seriously injured or psychologically impaired. Their days are filled with the need for compassion and endless patience, negotiation, balance and tolerance. I am learning how to change an address in the new computer system. A very simple but just as necessary task!

I hear my friend guide a man through the emotions of returning to his home for the first time without the leg he had before he'd gone to work and lost it in an accident. Will this get to be my job? What will it be like for me to talk to these wounded people? I have felt their pain. I have had to bend my life, be broken and rise again. It is best I heal and wait for now but I can feel the froth forming at the bit and my pace is picking up to a steady canter.... Slow and steady I keep telling myself.

The docs at transplant have got my headaches under control (transplant meds can trigger migraines) so life has gotten a lot better in the last 2 months. My/our liver has accepted it's new home very well (knock wood). My overall score hovers at about a 38 which usually takes years to achieve. I can only believe it is because of the relationship between myself and my donor made the body that much easier to receive the gift. My kidney's are tolerating all the toxic meds that I take every day very well which is one of the hurdles of the first year of transplant. My biggest irritation has been this very deep chest cough that has required 3 rounds of antibiotics and puffers every day. My donor has chronic bronchitis so we don't know but it's a possibility it may have transferred through her blood! Anyway, it's been really difficult to get rid of with all the anti-rejection medications so I sound like I have tuberculosis. Gives me a whole new empathy for my friends with asthma or breathing issues. You have my prayers! So far I have been very lucky to avoid any of the very common pitfalls of the first year especially because I received a very small piece of living donor organ. So, thanks to your prayers and all the extra rituals (you know who you are! :-) I am alive and kicking.. THANK YOU sincerely from the bottom of my heart, soul and toes to my nose.

I am so grateful to Meghan for her sacrifice that allows me to graduate from surviving surgery to watching life and now truly participating in it. I can wake up with my son, stay awake all day and put him to sleep at night, I can slide, swim, work, iron, bake bread and have dinner on the table on time. Sometimes I have to pinch myself. I will never forget what I've been through and the pain of the surgery is still very fresh but that girl I thought I might have lost was only wearing her safety gear. She's very much alive and well. I feel my old self rise as the fatigue, pain and memories sink and fade.

Meghan- I hate that you itch and I don't want your blood cells to be smaller than they should be. It's not fair for you to have aftermath from your heroic gesture. I know we will find the answer. I pray for the resolution every day. I know you say you aren't suffering and we never lie to each other so I take solace in that. Much love and THANK you for my life that wouldn't have been without your brave decision.

oxo to all and I MUST GO TO BED!!!

Bon Nuit!

Michelle

3 comments:

  1. Hello <from a couple who saved your newspaper clipping from Feb 12!
    My name is Shay and my very dear partner Geoff just had a liver transplant on Aug 6th.

    I was just going through items I had with us while we stayed 5 months (prior to transplant)at VGH. Geoff is doing well (he did have a bile duct leak which led him back to another 5 hr operation 2 weeks after) and slowly he has resumed to where he left off from the transplant day.
    We are so happy to read that you were transplanted with the gift of life!!! WTG Meg!
    I being the caregiver in the home, I'm still recovering, meanwhile Geoff is bypassing me with energy at times....lol (I love it).

    If you happen to be on FB reach me there Shay Moyer. It would be wonderful to connect sometime. Again I must say...when I looked your name up online because of curiosity from the newspaper article we kept...we are SO HAPPY to hear of yet another happy story!
    I'm a survivor of breast cancer,I can completely understand the feeling of a 2nd chance with life!
    Live every day as were last call.
    Hugz of health always
    Shay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle! I am so glad I noticed that you had written an update. Of course I checked it every day when "the battle" was on, but I am always going to wonder how you are doing and so I keep connected to this blog as it is easier to read here than trying to get ahold of Meghan (which is notoriously hard to do lol!) I love that you love all the little things and I will take that to heart. I was hating my job today (well for the last week or so) and it is good for me to remember that the alternative is not worth thinking about. So, because of your words and your experience, I will re-committ to trying to find joy in the simple things.
    Thanks,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle,
    Of COURSE there are still people "out here". Never think that we don't want to know how you are doing, just because the worst of the fight is behind you. I check this blog every day, right along with my email!! Glad you are doing so well, and look forward to seeing you again one of these days.
    With best wishes always,
    Lesley Armstrong

    ReplyDelete